The talented blacksmiths of three generations of the Hegarty family dedicated their skills to the betterment of Tamaqua Area busineses and families. Their shop, established in 1848, remained in continuous use until 1973.
Dale Freudenberger, president of the Tamaqua Historical Socity, shares a compelling account of the activities of the Hegarty family in Tamaqua from a vantage point opposite their former shop. And we get to look inside too.
Residents of Tamaqua’s Owl Creek neighborhood join together to create an exceptional gateway to their community by replacing the gap left behind by the removal of a railroad trestle with a pair of incredible retaining walls puntuated by student art works.
Georgine Wentz and Micah Gursky provide the details about the project that is located on the L&E Rail Trail.
Donald Serfass, author of “The Iron Steps: Illustrated History of Tamaqua, Pennsylvania” provides a historical sketch explaining how topography guided the development of Tamaqua.
The Iron Steps, he observes, “enabled people to get to their work and then get back home. And then, maybe in the evening, come back down… into the downtown for entertainment.”
“The Iron Steps became a way of life.”
Watch this segment to learn the background on the preservation of the former residence of Neil Dougherty.
Dougherty was tried and convicted of involvement in the alleged Molly-Maguire-related murder of mine superintendent Frank W. S. Langdon in 1862.
He served five years in Eastern State Penitentiary, then returned to his home in Tuscarora where he ultimately died in 1916.